Job Classification: Temporary/Full-time
Location: Turtle Mountain Tribal Court
Supervisor: Chief Clerk of Court
Departmental Supervisor: Chief Judge
Opening Date: March 12, 2019
Closing Date: March 25, 2019
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhering to Oath of Confidentiality at all times on/off the job.
- Adhering to the Tribal Code, Constitution, Court Rules and Court Procedures.
- Ensures order, decorum, and safety within the courthouse prior to and during court sessions.
- May conduct searches for contraband and other unauthorized materials on individuals before entering the courtroom.
- Will maintain order in court room during proceedings.
- Will assist police officers in handling custody of the prisoners under arraignment.
- Takes responsibility of jurors and provides them when they are deliberating or absent from the courtroom.
- Advises court personnel and attorneys when verdict are reached.
- Responds and carries out all orders of the Judge.
- Opens court, maintains order, and dismisses court.
- Escorts defendants to and from court room.
- Serves summons and notices when required by Tribal Court Clerks.
- Provides clerical support to the courtroom clerk as requested or directed.
- Interpret, explain, and apply a variety of policies, rules, procedures, and regulations.
- Understand and follow court calendar procedures.
- Will hand carry dispositions and warrants to the Belcourt Law Enforcement Center on daily procedure
- Provide proper information to members of the general public according to appropriate Court procedure.
- Will be required to work beyond regular work hours to provide security within the courthouse.
- Maintain effective working relationship with other employees, other agencies, law enforcement personnel, and the general public.
- Will use copying machines, calculators, fax machines, computers, and other office equipment on a daily basis.
- All other duties assigned by Supervisor.
- Must possess High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Law Enforcement training will be given preference.
- General knowledge of court procedures.
- General knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action.
- Knowledge of proper procedures and techniques in serving warrants, summonses, subpoenas and related legal documents.
- Must be able to type, write reports, and utilize computer equipment and be familiar with various forms of computer software including Microsoft Word, Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to the general public.
- Must be able to attend local and out0of-state training as directed by Supervisor.
- Ability to manage job related stress in professional manner.
- Must have valid N.D Driver’s License and proof of insurance. (In applicants name)
- Must pass Drug Test.
- Must pass Federal, State, and Tribal background checks.
How to apply: (Submit completed application to):
Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa
P.O. Box 900
Belcourt, ND 58316
Also submit a copy of transcript and/or copy diploma of degree attained and training certificates, background check, Indian Preference, etc. (if applied). Points in screening will be given only for documentation attached.
For more information please contact Elaine Nadeau, Lori Monette, or Mary Charbonneau, Carie Azure at 701-477-2600.