Job Classification: Regular Full-time
Location: Turtle Mountain Tribal Court
Supervisor: Chief Clerk of Court
Departmental Supervisor: Chief Judge
Salary: $14.00 – $15.00
Opening Date: March 31, 2021
Closing Date: April 13, 2021
Duties and Responsibilities as Bailiff:
- Adhering to Oath of Confidentiality at all times on/off the job.
- Adhering to the Tribal Code, Constitution, Court Rules and Court Procedures.
- Ensures order, decorum, and safety within the courthouse prior to and during court sessions.
- May conduct searches for contraband and other unauthorized materials on individuals before entering the courtroom.
- Will maintain order in court room during proceedings.
- Will assist police officers in handling custody of the prisoners under arraignment.
- Takes responsibility of jurors and provides them when they are deliberating or absent from the courtroom.
- Advises court personnel and attorneys when verdict are reached.
- Responds and carries out all orders of the Judge.
- Opens court, maintains order, and dismisses court.
- Escorts defendants to and from court room.
- Serves summons and notices when required by Tribal Court Clerks.
- Provides clerical support to the courtroom clerk as requested or directed.
- Interpret, explain, and apply a variety of policies, rules, procedures, and regulations.
- Understand and follow court calendar procedures.
- Will hand carry dispositions and warrants to the Belcourt Law Enforcement Center on daily procedure
- Provide proper information to members of the general public according to appropriate Court procedure.
- Will be required to work beyond regular work hours to provide security within the courthouse.
- Maintain effective working relationship with other employees, other agencies, law enforcement personnel, and the general public.
- Will use copying machines, calculators, fax machines, computers, and other office equipment on a daily basis.
- All other duties assigned by Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities as Janitor:
- Clean building floors, hallways, and office space by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
- Clean sinks, countertops, microwaves, and refrigerators in break room.
- Restock and maintain inventory supplies in bathrooms, break room, and common areas and keep supervisor informed of supplies needed.
- Empty all trash cans and replace liners.
- Empty and clean outdoor cigarette ash trays.
- Service, clean and sanitize restrooms on daily basis.
- Clean windows, mirrors, woodwork.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets, strip, seal finish, ad polish floors when equipment is available.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies.
- Will keep sidewalks clear of snow and ice.
- Assist with monitoring building security and safety.
- Maintain janitor closet in a clean, organized and safe manner.
- Must possess High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Law Enforcement training will be given preference.
- General knowledge of court procedures.
- General knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action.
- Knowledge of proper procedures and techniques in serving warrants, summonses, subpoenas and related legal documents.
- Must be able to type, write reports, and utilize computer equipment and be familiar with various forms of computer software including Microsoft Word, Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to the general public.
- Must be able to attend local and out0of-state training as directed by Supervisor.
- Ability to manage job related stress in professional manner.
- Must have valid N.D Driver’s License and proof of insurance. (In applicants name)
- Must pass Drug Test.
- Must pass Federal, State, and Tribal background checks.
How to apply: (Submit completed application to):
Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa
P.O. Box 900
Belcourt, ND 58316
For more information please contact Elaine Nadeau, Lori Monette, or Mary Charbonneau, Jarvis Decoteau at 701-477-2600.
The Human Resource Staff will not be responsible for incomplete applications
Indian Preference Statement
Candidates for employment or career advances shall be hired, trained, and promoted without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or personal, political or religious beliefs. However, preference shall be given in hiring in the following order between equally qualified candidates who are:
- Enrolled Member Veteran (10 points to be given to enrolled member veterans in screening process as follow: (see definitions)
- Enrolled member
- Other Tribal Member veterans
- Other Tribal Members
Veterans and eligible spouses of deceased will receive special consideration for initial appointments for all positions being filled by the TMBCI. The intent of this policy is to promote and bring deserved services and benefits to our veterans for the personal sacrifices they have made. To be considered for a preferential treatment under this policy, candidate(s) must submit copies of verification documents to Personnel Office along with the employment application for eligibility determination purposes. An acceptable verification document is the discharge of transfer report form DD214.